Secrets of Barovia
The Tarokka Reading
Madame Eva read the characters a reading of their future with a deck of Tarokka cards. Before she could do the reading, however, she told them that she must first uncover the heroes pasts in order to learn their futures. She holds each of their hands and turn, and as she stares at they her eyes glaze over, the pupils and irises disappearing until solid white orbs stare deep into them.
This is what she says about each:
- Child of a monastery, you have wandered far from your path. But do not fret, there are forks in the road ahead, and your curiosity will lead you back to the Sun before your days are done.
- Half a king, half a man, son of him called Short, I see you. I see your fingers itching, twitching, but know that if you so much as pocket a handful of sand in my tent, I shall curse you such that you will wish to be back in the halls of your uncle.
- Daughter of Dragons, you have not yet unlocked your full power. Awaken the ghost of Argynvost and ask him to tell you more.
Brume the Pale
- You may not know your own past, Brume, but I do. I know of you indeed, Nelchael, “Sword of Thunder”. The Lord of Morning is not your holy father, he is more of an indulgent uncle.
- Your soul smells of kobold, wild Moonthing. You do, however, wish to desire a trait known to many Vistani, though you know it not. Speak with Oleg outside after and ask about ‘his famous list’.
She then proceeds to do the reading.
1 OF SWORDS – AVENGER
“This card tells of history. Knowledge of the ancient will help you better understand your enemy.”
“The treasure lies in a dragon’s house, in hands once clean and now corrupted.”
3 OF STARS-ENCHANTER
“This card tells of a powerful force for good and protection, a holy symbol of great hope.”
“I see a kneeling woman-a rose of great beauty plucked too soon. The master of the marsh knows of whom I speak.”
3 OF GLYPHS – HEALER
“This is a card of power and strength. It tells of a weapon of vengeance, a sword of sunlight."
“Look to the west. Find a pool blessed by the light of the white sun.”
9 OF SWORDS – TORTURER
“This card speaks to change, and tells of how despair may be transformed into joy.”
“An Undying House has a hidden basement. Find in there a cloud made manifest, held in the hand of the devil."
“This card sheds light on one who will help you greatly in the battle against darkness."
“A Vistana wanders this land alone, searching for her mentor. She does not stay in one place long. Seek her out in the home of an ancient saint near the mists.”
“Your enemy is a creature of darkness, whose powers are beyond mortality. This card will lead you to him, when you are ready.”
“He dwells with the one whose blood sealed his doom, a brother of light snuffed out too soon.”